Everton director of football Marcel Brands has left his position at the club following their disastrous performance in the Merseyside derby against Liverpool last week.
Brands came under intense pressure in the past weeks along with other members of the club’s hierarchy, following their derby defeat on Wednesday to Liverpool where he was verbally confronted by fans after the game.
Brands previously worked as the director of football at PSV Eindhoven, before he took over the role at Everton from Steve Walsh in 2018.
Following the departure of the 59 year old, the club statement read: “The owner and directors would like to thank Marcel for the service he has given to the club over the past three and a half years, and wish him well for his future.”
“A strategic review of the football structure will now take place which will inform the best model for the club to proceed with in the long term.”
Amid the fans complains on the kind of performance the Toffees are churning out, the club’s said they will keep supporting the manager. “In the meantime, the owner and board of the directors will continue to provide our managers, Rafa Benitez with their full support.”
Brands on Friday said: “Following a personal conversation with the chairman and my fellow board members, we agreed that I would step down from my post as director of football and as a member of the Everton football club board.”
While leaving the club, the 59 year old also thank everyone at club who have worked closely with him over the last three and a half year and wish all of the squad every success saying he’s convinced they have enough quality to improve the current situation quickly.
This article was updated 9 months ago