Juventus have confirmed on Monday that it would not renew Paulo Dybala contract which expires in the summer.
CEO of the Serie A club, Maurizio Arrivabene brought to end months of speculation when he said that the club had made no offer to Dybala’s representatives during a meeting held earlier in the day in Turin.
“With the arrival of (striker Dusan) Vlahovic (in January) the footballing structure at the club has changed. Juventus’ project has changed and part of this change included Dybala’s contract which today was not renewed,” Arrivabene told reporters.
“It would have been easy for Juventus to make a much-reduced offer but it would have been disrespectful to Paulo.”
Now effectively a free agent, Italian media report that the 28-year-old could move to Juve’s fiercest rivals Inter Milan, with Atletico Madrid also reportedly keen.
The Argentine has been dogged by injuries over the last two seasons and Arrivabene suggested that his absences played a part in the club’s decision not to renew.
“Paulo is no longer at the centre of the Juventus project, that’s why we preferred to make this decision,” he said.
“No-one has ever questioned his quality but there were considerations to be made over his appearance numbers and length of his contract.”
Dybala signed for Juventus from Palermo in 2015 and since then has won five Serie A titles and four Italian Cups.